Monday, April 13, 2020

A Wet and Windy Walk

Our school is now beginning Week 5 of online instruction. It still doesn't seem quite real, but we've been told that we'll be staying home throughout the remainder of the school year. Online is how we'll be teaching and learning. We all fully realize that sitting behind a computer screen for too long is not healthy for any teacher or student. It's important to get up and move every half hour or so. I could tell by looking out the window that there was a steady, pelting rain. I could tell that it was very windy as well. On this rainy, windy day, I decided to take a walk outside anyway. I wore a fleece jacket as well as a rain jacket, gloves, and boots. I grabbed my umbrella and headed out the door. But, I guess I wasn't quite prepared for the strength of this wind or the amount of rain that was falling. It was a day that required both hands on the umbrella. Some wind gusts threatened to pull it right away. It was tugging--no, grabbing--the umbrella and trying to take me away with it. Then the wind would die down temporarily, and it morphed into a light breeze, and although wet, the weather felt quite comfortable. I even unzipped my raincoat. But, that didn't last long. The strong wind came back with great gusto. Regardless of the crazy weather, the fresh air and little bit of exercise felt good. It recharged my batteries, so to speak. I was able to go back in the house, change out of my rain-soaked jeans and socks, and prepare a healthy lunch. After lunch, I'll be meeting virtually with the staff of our school on Zoom. It takes the place of our bi-weekly staff meeting, so we have an agenda and a time limit. I think we all look forward to "seeing" each other on the screen, waving, smiling, and joining in on a professional conversation with other adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment